About the local hosting organization
Background, our partner association is an indigenous, non-political and membership organization which is non-sectarian and non-profit making started in 1962 as a work camp organization registered under the Societies’ Act. In 1993, It was registered as a Non-Governmental organization by the establishment of the NGOs Coordination Act.
Core Values or Operating Principles
• Promotion of voluntarism.
• Transparency and accountability.
• Participatory evaluation of projects.
• Local community ownership of projects:
• Continuous research and development.
• Regular follow up of projects.
• A learning organization.
• Documentary evidence of processes and events.
About the volunteer work
Volunteers will work for six hours daily from Monday to Friday.
Manual work and Intercultural activities:
• School renovation, brick making and clean up exercise on the School compound
• Animation under the supervision of local teacher
• Awareness campaign on Human Wildlife Conflict
• Home visits
• Cultural days for various nationalities
• Discusions with the local people on thematic focus of the project
Special info about the food
• Our partner association will provide foodstuffs and volunteers will cook their own meals in turns. Water is available from springs and it is recommended that drinking water should be boiled or medicated. Mineral water available at supermarkets is also recommended.
• There will be a team of 5 volunteers from Kenya joining the project and they will provide the much-needed support to the international volunteer and guide them on variety of pertinent issues within the local community
About the project location
Gideon Mosi Primary School is a relatively new institution was founded in 1990 and it has rapidly expanded to accommodate 293 boys and girls from class 1-8. The 8 Teachers at the Gideon Mosi Primary School are employed by the Teachers Service commission and they are qualified to teach all rounds from class 1-8. In cases where the teaching staff is not adequate, the Parents and Teachers Association employs teachers for a short duration of time to help bridge the obtaining gap.
About the leisure activities possible
About the meeting point
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi is the port of arrival and KVDA will designate a driver for the airport pick up.
Extra info about the project
EURO 300 for 2-week project and this will include the following:
What is included in the participation fee?
• Return transfers from the airport
• Transport to and from the project
• Full board at the project (Accommodation and meals provided at the project)
• Orientation, monitoring and evaluation
• KVDA Administration
• Volunteer mentorship
What is not included in the participation fee?
• Travel to and from the project. The volunteer will be required to pay for the bus tickets
• Refreshments outside the project
• Air ticket
• Visa and Insurance
• Local travel and personal effects