About the local hosting organization
Aim: to promote organic farming, fair trade and healthy lifestyles among the population (especially Youth).
Activities: promotion of fair trade principles in Portugal (fair trade shops, exhibitions, clubes, members and public/private entities); EVS volunteering activities; development of projects about education for cooperation and development, solidarity, healthy lifestyles, responsible tourism and consumption, organic farming, etc.; local awareness for organic products (organic and biodynamic farming); organization of international work camps; organization of youth exchanges and other youth in action projects; Fair Trade awareness (shops, school activities, fairs, etc.).
About the volunteer work
Aims: to raise awareness among the participants and the population on organic farms, organic food and fair trade; to develop skills related to agriculture work in organic farms and environment preservation; to run activities in order to increase the level of commitment at local level (Amarante) for organic and fair trade products.
Activities: working in organic farms from the region of Amarante; training on fair trade and sustainable development (ex.: workshop about Fair Trade and healthy food); presentation to the city and region; group dynamics; visit to the most important places of the city; visits to some of the main cities and spots in the North of Portugal (Guimarães, Porto, Parque Natural do Alvão).
Participants will be accommodated in shared rooms (4 participants each) of Casa da Juventude de Amarante (even so participants should all bring sleeping bag). Casa da Juventude de Amarante is located in the city center of Amarante (just 10m walking distance from the bus station) and has its own kitchen, wc and showers.Laundry available (self -service). This youth centre has free wireless.
Special info about the food
In terms of food, our youth centre has a bar\restaurant proposal for the volunteers (breakfast, lunch and dinner) always taking into consideration our aims (healthy food with organic and vegetarian ingredients).
About the project location
Amarante is a small town in the North of Portugal, part of Porto district (60km far from Porto, to the interior) with 12 thousand inhabitants (in the center). It is a quite famous city for tourism, culture and wine production. Indeed, is quite near (18km) the Oporto wine region. Is cr ossed by Tâmega River (one of the rivers ending at Douro River that crosses Porto till the Atlantic Ocean) and it is on the valley of one of the most important Portuguese mountains, Marão (1450m). Amarante is well located (nearby passes highway A4 connecting to Oporto and highway A11 connecting to Guimarães) and has a good public transport system (bus station). The city is 40 min way from the nearest airport (Oporto) by car.
- Inside the building of Casa da Juventude de Amarante is not allowed to smoke or drink alcohol (except in the bar or balcony);
- Garbage should be separated: glass, plastic, paper, organic;
- We all have different time perceptions and so we should respect others and prepare in time our participation in daily activities;
- Every day we meet at 21h30 in a circle to evaluate our day, share whatever with the group and read our mail box;
- Each day a different room is responsible for daily house work: food preparation support, garbage, dinner cleanings, etc…
About the meeting point
- Arrival date - 19.09.17
- Work language – Portuguese, English
- Insurance (kind of covers) – We will have insurance (personnel accidents and civil responsibility) valid during the work camp period. Members
EU, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein should bring their European Wealth Card.
- What to Bring (personal things) – Sleeping bag and hygiene products, sun protector, swimming suits, working and sports clothes and shoes.
Extra info about the project
21,50€ / day / volunteer that cover 3 meals, accommodation and materials used for activities