About the local hosting organization
ICJA - one of the ICYE founding members – was established in 1949. It is an independent organisation with links to different networks of volunteering and civil society organisations. There is a strong regional structure with 15 support groups all over the country. Most volunteers and co-workers have participated in the exchange program themselves. The national office is located in Berlin.
Presentation of the programme
The ICYE International Office, head office of the ICYE Federation in Berlin/ Germany, coordinates the activities of its member organisations in 41 countries worldwide.
The ICYE International Office, based in Berlin, Germany, is in charge of facilitating the exchanges and cooperation between the members of the ICYE Federation, organising the bi-annual General Assemblies and representating ICYE in global networks. In addition to that, the IO engages in programme development and quality assurance of the exchange programmes, executing any tasks assigned to it by the International Board of Managers.
The ESC volunteer will be working in the position of office assistant, thereby playing an active role in the daily activities of the International Office. Besides the support to the overall work, they will be encouraged to take the initiative in organizing tasks and making suggestions for new activities. The volunteer will be encouraged to choose and work on a personal project according to their own interests.
The main projects the volunteer will be working on in 2023-24 are:
· Implementing our social media strategy
· Supporting with the coordination of our youth advisory group
· Supporting with the preparations for the General Assembly in November 2023
Other activities will include:
· Coordinating and compiling the publication of the biannual newsletter
· Creating and posting social media content, updating the ICYE Homepage
· Corresponding with partner organizations and volunteers / interested young people/ exchange participants in 41 countries worldwide
· Assisting with insurance enrolments for volunteers and other services for the member organisations
· Collecting and organizing program related information from the members
· Compiling data, editing and doing the layout of activity reports
· Answering information inquiries by phone and e-mail
General office tasks (filing and archiving, data entry and database maintenance)
The volunteer will share an apartment with two women from Denmark and Taiwan (sharing bathroom, kitchen, a common room). The apartment is about 20 minutes via public transport from the office.
About the project location
The office is located in the heart of Germany's vibrant capital, Berlin.
The volunteer should:
be at least 21 years old
have a high level of English proficiency (minimum B2)
manage the basic Microsoft office tools (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint)
show initiative and be creative
be passionate about communication and social media
have a genuine interest human rights, gender equality and diversity, peace, social justice and environmental regeneration
be flexible and openminded
Extra info about the project
The International Office (IO) will only be able to offer one volunteer space for an ESC volunteer.
The ESC volunteer will join the three permanent staff members at the ICYE International Office and work hand-in-hand with them, acquiring the social, personal, civic, educational and professional skills and competences related to a coordination office. The working languages in the office are English and German.